Return to the Violet Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help - ohio state viola research

Posted by dwhr NH cool z4 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 17, 07 at 16:24

Hello viola peoples!
I'm a new graduate student at The Oho State University in Columbus (Ohio, USA) and am developing a topic for my research thesis. Ornimental plant breeding is my line of work, and I'm quite proficient in dabbing hemerocallis (my true love), hosta, and am expanding my tastes :)

Anyway, I am interested in examining DNA fingerprints of (Ohio) naive species, in order to try and connect them to common ancestors. I am having a heck of a time finding in formation on chromosome counts of all the species I have (not all natives):

bicolor
blanda
canadensis
cornuta 'Black Magic'
cucullata
dissecta
gracilis
hastata
hederacea
hirsutala
labradorica
labradorica 'alba'
laceolata
macloskeyi
o. 'Rosinia'
palmata
palustris
papillonacea
pedata
pinnata
pubescens
rostrata
rotundifolia
'Royal Robe'
sagittata
sororia
sororia 'freckles'
striata
triloba

Any chance anyone here can help me out -either digits or maybe a reference or referral? I have checked some peer-reviewed literature, and most recently the "Chromosome Atlas of Flowering Plants" by Darlington and Wylie.
Thanks,

Dan
OSU grad student

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help - ohio state viola research

Hi Dan
What I have on my side:
In Landon and Mc KinneyA taxonomic revision of the acaulescent blue violet 1992:
cucullata 2n=54
hirsutala 2n=54
palmata 2n=54
papillonacea 2n=54
pedata 2n=56 ( gershoy 1934)
sagittata 2n=54
sororia 2n=54
triloba 2n=54
+ found on the web
Canadensis 2n = 24 ((Clausen 1929; Canne 1987).

but in Ohio you have no less than Harvey Ballard and Theresa Culley!!!!hey!

keep us informed about your researches
cheers
Nathalie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Violet Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here