Return to the Violet Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
streptocarpella .. can mine be saved???

Posted by newontarionian 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 10, 03 at 17:13

ok .. today i read a bit about this lovely plant which i have had for about two months. i realize that i have been torturing it (which you would instantly guess upon seeing it!) i now better understand that i have to fertilize it monthly, water from the bottom so the leaves dont get wet and keep it dry between waterings (only once a week, they say).

the question i have is ... can i cut all the stems back (how far, i wonder?) because it has lost all its leaves except the ones on the very top of each branch? the leaves that were there were brown and dead. i did cut them off (no easy matter as there are a million on each branch!) but its still pathetic :-(

can you help me bring this lovely plant back to its beautifully flowering state? how shall i prevent those crispy leaves from returning? what to do .. what to do .. help save my streptocarpella, please!

thanks
:-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: streptocarpella .. can mine be saved???

Wrong forum - your query should go one the African Violets forum - see link

Here is a link that might be useful: African Violets forum

o

oops ... my mistake ... thanks mike!

:-)

o

I realize it was an easy mistake, but when someone posts a saintpaulia question here, the Monty Python fan in me wants to ask: "What do you mean- an African Violet, or a European Violet? ;)

Erica

o

At least it is a little better than on another forum, where I guess the Monty Python in you would ask "What do you mean - a Geranium or a geranium?".

o

I have a streptocarpella that I kept in the house over the winter. The plant is large and looks healthy however, it is all leaves and did not bloom all winter and has not bloomed this spring. It gets light and I fertilize it. What is wrong?

o

Mine was like that after the winter so I cut all the ends off and used them as cuttings. All grew and now I have loads of them all flowering beautifully! Perhaps you could try the same if you managed to save the plant. Best of luck.I live in the uk by the way but don't think this will make any difference.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Violet Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here