Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aubade

Wild Violets + Pansies: What Will Happen?

aubade
15 years ago

I just moved into a new house last March and happily discovered that Violets were growing wild in the backyard amongst the weeds. I had wanted to plant them anyway, since I am trying to grow only edible plants and they are such beautiful flowers.

I uploaded a pic of them growing amongst the weeds (hope it works). I have no idea what kind they are - I'm a newbie to gardening and was just amazed to find them already there. Does anyone know what type they are?

This year I want to pull out all the weeds but keep the violets and make it into an edible flower bed. I'm sure it will be a painstaking job but I'm prepared to sacrifice my back. :-)

This is my other question: I have a packet of mixed viola x wittrockiana. What will happen if I try to grow these pansies next to the wild violets? Will they cross with each other? I think the pansies are annuals - but I'm hoping they'll self seed and naturalize like the other ones.

Finally, one more question - I haven't yet planted the pansy seeds. I was thinking I'd start them inside today and then replant them out at the end of March or so. But then I just read that you are really supposed to plant them out in the fall? Will there be any point to me starting them inside now and trying to plant them out in spring?

Thanks so much for any help.

Image link:

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (2)

Sponsored