Return to the Violet Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
About 'Feline'

Posted by StefanB8 z4 MN (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 2, 04 at 18:08

I was wondering if this violet might be useful in breeding with hardier sweet violets since it's single; I'm sure interest in this subject has come up before, but I couldn't find any information. I've been guessing that Parmas might have the same chromosome number as V. odorata (2n=20) but their usual relative sterility would seem to be an obstacle. It would be lovely to have violets with Parma fragrance that don't require houseplant culture here. What do you think? Nathalie, if you're out there, has 'Feline' been a more reliable seed producer than other Parmas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: About 'Feline'

Dear Stefan,

Unfortunately, Fline never gaved me seeds but I could notice it makes a bit of pollen..Surely usefull to try crossings...I have had seeds only on another single parma ( 'Fe Jalucine')No results yet about the seeedling as the young plants are difficult to grow. So slow but healthy and suddendly dying out!
I would encourage you in doing various crossings as I think there is still a lot to do in the violet world!
Let us keep informed

Best wishes
Nathalie

o

Nathalie, thank you! I may just give it a try. I agree there's much work to be done yet, and it would be fun to be a part of it. I wonder if there is an odd number of chromosomes in the Parma violets...?

Stefan

o

Hi Stefan

I've been diging out specially for you some informations on parmas chromosomes!..They are 2n=20.

o

Thanks again Nathalie! That does help - Viola odorata has the same chromosome number. I just hope that it is possible to combine its hardiness with Parma fragrance. There's only one way to find out, I guess!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Violet Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here