Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cena_gw

Need some basic Hand Holding w/ Violas

Cena
20 years ago

I am assuming I am in the right place, someone will set me straight if not, I'm sure!

I recently aquired a front yard and three beds with established plants already growing. Two beds had nearly everything removed; remaining in one, an old rose, a ligularia, some echevaria, and I think some odd violets~heart shaped leaves on elongated stems and a nice blue bloom after some watering.

Today I bought what I know as Johnny Jump Ups, but the tag saved me from embarrassment naming them as Viola cornuta 'King Henry' and Viola 'Blackberry Cream' and a mixed 6 pac of Viola cornuta Princess Mix. The bed I would like to plant these in receives enough sun so that my rose is blooming as we speak, and the other 'violets' are blooming.

I have lived in this house less than a month, and am hoping to in-ground plant these plants. Any light requirements, water advice, and other thoughts would be appreciated. I have balcony gardened for 18 years and am new to this yard thing...

Comments (5)

• Cena
    Original Author
    20 years ago

row, row, rowing my boat, all by myself...

Thanks for being here, wish that you were a more active forum. Hope you earn your bandwidth, and keep a viable place here. I sure learned a lot from what I read that was already posted...

• carol23_gw
    20 years ago

I will ask a friend living in southern California since your conditions and mine differ vastly! ( zone 6 PA)

• rosemariero
    20 years ago

Hi Cena! Carol contacted me & asked me to take a look at your post. Hope you're enjoying your new home! Better than dealing with that HOA I'll Bet!

Unfortunately, Violas are not my strong suit. But, they should do just fine in the beds you mentioned. The ones I did have some success with liked full sun & not letting them get too dried out. They do like the cool weather, which we won't be having for much longer (I hope). Mine croaked when it got hot. That said, they might last longer if they're planted in a position that got some relief from strong sunlight. Hope this helps!

Got a new puter & can't access address bk on old one, so if you could e-mail me please (so I'll have your EM addy), I'd appreciate it. Maybe I can supply you with some of my plants for your new garden. Let me know!
    ~Rosemarie

• Violet_Skies_
    20 years ago

They will self seed, providing you with effortless flowers every spring. Violas are very very hardy, they will even bloom under the snow. You should have no problem with them. Slugs like them though. Don't let the beds get too dry, but too wet will invite more slugs. You can add them to your salads too. The violas, not the slugs. ;-)

• Cena
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Forgot they were cool temp lovers. I guess about mid-summer they ought to be little crispy reminders of how beautiful they were...

Thanks. I do have some seed pods already. I will collect as long as they last, and hope for the best! They should do well from Fall to Mid-Summer here, so I will aim for that!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus