Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobbie_gw

Violet Society Free Seeds

Bobbie
23 years ago

Remember the free seeds which were sent to Violet Society members over a year ago? I put mine in the refrigerator in moistened peat moss as directed, and then just forgot about them. Some did show signs of sprouting, but I just sort of ignored them for months and months. Well, last fall I finally dumped them all in a planter that I keep on a deck, watered well, and covered with plastic. Was sure nothing would come of it, but now I have a number of small plants and a few more seeds are sprouting! Now that the weather is warming up, I uncovered them and only cover if the nighttime temperatures are to be below freezing. I'm really thrilled and can't wait to see what develops. Just goes to show how hardy these little wonders are!

Comments (12)

• patty_kc_verizon_net
    23 years ago

Violets grow wild around my house these days. We pull them like weeds cause they go where they're not wanted also. When I want to grow violets in a certain spot I just gather the seeds up and toss them, they don't need to be babied. I water the area and in a short time, viola! Violets everywhere!! Any one need seeds? I don't know what kind these are, but they sure smell good! I use them for ground cover.
    Patty

• evel_ptd_net
    22 years ago

I love planting all different flowers everywhere in my garden.

• skyblueskies_hotmail_com
    22 years ago

What kind of violet seeds did you receive from the society? Does the society have a seed bank?

Libby

• pamhare_yahoo_com
    22 years ago

How do I get some of these violet seeds? Also, what do the plants look like in winter. I purchased several varieties and some look brown and dead while others are just green and wilted. Please tell me the brown ones are not really dead.

• Mike Hardman
    22 years ago

Don't throw out your brown and mushy violets for a few months yet!

The behaviour of viola over winter varies a lot. Some remain in good leaf, some loose all their leaves, some fall in-between. The in-betweens may retain a small number of green leaves - and hence give you some comfort they are OK; but others may be clothed in a brown wodge of old leaves, probably being chewed by slugs and earthworms and showing growths of grey mould (Botrytis) - disgusting. In some of those mushy cases, the plant will not return in spring; but in others you may be surprised how well they will grow and flower when it suits them. After all, in the wild, there is nobody to tend the plants, remove old leaves, pick off pests, etc. Yet somehow the plants survive, at least as a species if not every individual specimen. The trick is knowing how a plant's native habitat compares to your cultural conditions - hence alpines may actually rot over winter if grown outside in mild climates, but they will stand a much better chance of survival in an alpine house.

Know your violets!

• Brian_Ward
    21 years ago

I would welcome the free seeds. Iam on the lookout for the variegated variety! Thanks,

72 Brookfield Rd,
    Cheadle,
    STOCKPORT
    Sk8 1ES Brian Ward

• glorybee
    21 years ago

Patty,
    If you still have some seeds available I would love some!
    I just love violets.I have a whole bathroom decorated in a violets theme :)

Heidi S~

• romando
    21 years ago

I'd love some seeds!! e mail me!

• dzejna
    21 years ago

I'd love some too if there's any left please?

• alexs_marie
    21 years ago

any left? i am looking for voilet seeds. thanks alexs-maarie

• shamoo
    20 years ago

I would like some of your voilet seeds.you can email me at taleriche@yahoo.ca for my mailing address.
    thanks

• tillandsia
    20 years ago

Dear Bobbie, I am a new member of the forum so I am reading about you violet seeds quite late. If, however, you should have some more extras at some point, please email me if you could share some. I have nothing to exchange at the moment, but that is always subject to change. How fortunate you are to have such an interesting volunteer as violets.
    Please email me if you wish. Thank you. Eunice