Return to the Violet Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Violets for Central Florida?

Posted by springtime_fl z9 Tampa, FL (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 11, 07 at 10:42

Hi, I am new to this forum. I love violets and thought someone here could help me. I used to live in Minnesota and had 3 types of violets. 1. white w/purple centers 2. yellow 3. lavender? . I have no idea what the names are. I then moved to Louisiana and brought the white w/purple centers with me, also the yellow ones. About 5 years ago we moved to the Tampa, Fl area and I brought them with me agian. I did not expect much success with them but I could not leave them behind. I planted them in my shadiest spot and they are doing ok but not thriving. I do not want to give up on them. Does anyone know of types that can live in central Florida? I did get one from a Florida Garden Webber that she called Fragrant violet. That is all I know about it. It is doing well.
Thanks.
Gabriele

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Violets for Central Florida?

• Posted by etii France 8 (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 11, 07 at 17:55

Hi !

Your white with purple center violet is surely sororia Alice Witter :-)
I guess your violets you put on the shadiest spot will appreciate some more sun, that's all :-) The point is not that violets enjoy shade place but wet ground. A part shade place is the best :-)
About fragrant violet -> odorata but which one ?? (some cultivar are very strong some others are not) :-) Odorata can be as much invasive as sororia...
I don't see any particular problem with having violets in Florida. Many are living there (native I mean), see the link :-)

All the best
Thierry :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: viola in Florida

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Violet Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here