Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill463_gw

Help ... Looking for Viola papilionacea

bill463
20 years ago

I'm having a very difficult time trying to obtain wood violets, Viola papilionacea. I've checked numerous seed companies (Thompson-Morgan, Parks, Stokes, Burpee, Jung etc..), local nurseries, online nurseries (Toadshade won't ship to Florida) ... you name it, I've searched.

Can anyone suggest?

Any form ... plant, cutting, seed .... doesn't matter to me.

Are there any Viola papilionacea experts out there?

Please chime in.

Thanks,

Bill

Comments (8)

• carol23_gw
    20 years ago

This site might have them. The blue violets are common and if you have something to trade for them, perhaps you should post on the Plant Exchange forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Viola

• bill463
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks Carol, I placed an online order through Toadshade (http://www.toadshade.com)
    ... hopefully they'll ship to me!

If anyone else is interested, I also had success through the following:

Sheffield's Seed Co. (Viola sororia seeds)
    http://www.sheffields.com

Mary's Plant Farm (Viola Papilionacea, Blue Wood Violet)
    http://www.marysplantfarm.com

• Mike Hardman
    13 years ago

a bit late, but just for reference...
    V. papilionacea is synonymized with V. sororia (that is, there is no consistent botanical difference, with V. sororia being the preferred name).
    So you would find it under V. sororia nowadays.

• jock.stender
    11 years ago

I've read the messages here regarding viola papilionacea.

I am searching for suppliers of "common bule violet," viola papilionacea seed for monarch larval food plant.

V. papilionacea, I understand, is one and the same as the species v. sororia willdenow.

I am looking for SEEDS of this plant.

I've only found two sites that even sell the PLANT, not the SEEDS.

Please let me know if you know of a seed source, or if you are kind enough to mail me some of your seeds.

Thank you.

Jock Stender
    Charleston, SC

• helenaviolet
    11 years ago

Violia sororia is just beginning to emerge from winter dormancy in my corner of the world, Australia. There are millions of little seedlings too so rest assured that just one plant will provide seeds for a lifetime! Finding the plants to begin with can be difficult. However they often turn up at markets and fairs, ask around gardening friends, local garden clubs and botanic gardens. Flower and garden shows can be a good resource for locating suppliers.

• jock.stender
    11 years ago

helenaviolet,

I got this e-mail from a seed company in New Jersey and just received my seed packet from them in the mail.

Hello Jock, Thanks for your email! We do sell Violets seeds of a couple of different species, but they must be planted fairly fresh for best results (within about a month of harvesting) so we only collect them by special request. This fall, we expect to have the following available: Common Blue Violet (Viola sororia) Striped Cream Violet (Viola striata) Approximately 70 seeds per $4.00 seed envelope. Shipping to SC is $3 for up to 12 seed packets, $5 for 13 to 25 seed packets, and 5% for seed orders of 25 seed packets or more. Violets make a very nice ground cover. I am particularily fond of Striped Cream Violet because it is nearly evergreen. Each plant bunch will expand and eventually be almost a foot across (under favorable conditions) and 8 to 10â tall. The Cream Striped Violet can get a little taller. The fall seeds are just beginning to ripen. Let me know as soon as you can if you are interested in either of these species. All the best, Randi \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_ Dr. Randi V. Wilfert Eckel Toadshade Wildflower Farm 53 Everittstown Road Frenchtown, NJ 08825 www.toadshade.com toadshad@toadshade.com voice/fax 908\-996\-7500
  • ontnative
    11 years ago

These violets grow like weeds around my area of southern Ontario. If you are looking for seeds or plants, try your local wildflower sources, either nurseries or organizations. Prairie Moon Nursery, MN lists this violet, but is temporarily out of stock.

• missa
    11 years ago

HI there! viola Papilloniacea is now more widely knows as sororia now. Just like everyone else said. I have what we northerners knows as viola papillonacea whic is the white viola with the bluish purple " faces" and the common purple. I could get you loads of each in dormant tubers if interested ina trade? I wont be able to ship out for atleast a few weeks because its still a cold snowy tundra out here,lol. but spring is just around the conrner as far as weather goes. melissa

Sponsored