Return to the Violet Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spring Greetings from Maryland, USA

Posted by jim_mck z7, MD USA (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 14, 06 at 13:45

The violet season is well underway here in my garden.

Please take a look at the attached image: for those of you still in the grips of winter, I hope it brings a breath of spring.

The violets shown, reading clockwise from the 1 o'clock position, are: 1 Swanley White, 2 Lianne, 3 Mme Armadine Pages, 4 Feline, 5 King of the Doubles, 6 D'Udine, 7 V. dissecta chaerophylloides, 8 Queen Charlotte, 9 Reid's Crimson Carpet, 10 Duchesse de Parme, 11 V. sororia and 12 de Toulouse.

The other flowers shown, in no particular order, are Galanthus 'Augustus', G. elwesii, Mahonia bealei, Lonicera fragrantissima, Scilla mischtchenkoana, Chionodoxa sardensis, Ch. forbesii, Crocus tommasinianus, Glechoma hederacea, Jasminum nudiflorum, Magnolia stellata, Helleborus foetidus, H. cf. torquatus, Narcissus Tete a Tete,Muscari 'Christmas Pearl', Muscari 'Dark Eyes", Hepatica nobilis and Euphorbia communis. The foliage between the violet blossoms is that of Ranunculus ficaria - I was not about to pick the violet foliage!

Image link: Spring Greetings from Maryland, USA (59 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spring Greetings from Maryland, USA

thanks for such a beautiful picture, jim. you're obviously quite a gardener! i have a few early flowers on my violets and some autumn crocus, cholchicum varieties here. your arrangement reminds me of the introductory page of some old gardening books i have seen....very elegant!
rob...

o

That's beautiful! Do you have any (ANY) seeds available you could trade from any of your violets? I'd baby them well... ; )
Amanda 'romando'

o

Ah, thats a delightful Posy! Lucky you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Violet Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here