Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mersiepoo

Hunting for a 'speckled' violet....sources anyone?

mersiepoo
17 years ago

I saw the most beautiful violet ever in a garden magazine. It didn't say what the name was of course! The violet itself was speckled with violet and white flecks, it was so pretty! Has anyone heard of this violet or know what it's called, and if there is a source for it? I've gotten violets from bluestoneperennials.com before and they are awesome, but they don't have those ones. Thanks for any help! :)

Comments (11)

• etii
    17 years ago

Hi !

What about viola sororia freckles ?

{{gwi:1338569}}

All the best :-)
    Thierry.

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dear Thierry,

That is a beauty, not exactly what I saw though, it was more like a blue background with tiny white spots. I love that picture though, it's beautiful too! :) Thanks for posting it.

• etii
    17 years ago

Hi !
    Well well well....another mission for Sherlock Holmes ;o)
    I only know 5 violets with speckles:
    - sororia freckles
    - peppered palm (the flower is about the same from freckles)
    - sororia blue diamond: blue with purple speckles
    - sororia dark freckles: blue with some purple speckles too
    {{gwi:1338570}}
    - sororia speckles: which is supposed to be purple with white speckles. I bought it last year at Groves' nursery and I should see the flowers this spring but you could ask him by mail. I'll make a pic when that one will show its face.
    I've never heard about a blue one with white speckles. I guess you can't post the pic you saw in that magazine ?
    Does someone having a clue ??

All the best
    Thierry.

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dear Thierry,

I wish my scanner was working! :I'll get my camera in order and post the picture. Then maybe we can solve this violet mystery! Thanks for helping me with this, it's driving me crazy (short trip).

• etii
    17 years ago

Hi !

YES, pliiiiiiiiiiiz, post the pic :oP
    Almost all of them: I don't have "blue diamond" (not yet ;o)), a friend of mine showed me a pic. I do prefer peppered plam from freckles, blooms are ten times more beautiful but it's a bit less easy going.
    "driving crazy" LOL !!! That's it :-)) Most of them drive me crazy....

Take care :-)
    Thierry.

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, I found the picture, and you were right! It was the first one, the sororia speckles! :>

• kermyt_gmail_com
    16 years ago

Greetings from Maine!

My wifes uncle was an avid gardener right up to the day he died in the early 80's.
    In fact he worked at the Ames Estate in Easton, MA. Uncle Buck claimed to have
    created this variety of speckled violets

for the Ames's in the 50's or 60's. Unfortunately since he is now deceased it is not
    going to be easy to verify this story.

The story is that he created this violet by crossing the large wild purple violet on
    the left of this photo with the tiny wild white violet on the top.

Seeing as I have this growing in my front yard here in Maine this is a very hardy
    variety, although it has almost no perfume.

• whoelse
    16 years ago

They have speckled violet seeds on ebay. A search under violet seeds finds them.

Here is a link that might be useful: speckled violet seeds

• Krista_5NY
    16 years ago

Viola Columbine has mottled purple and white markings, lovely scent to it.

Here are a few pics of it:

{{gwi:305942}}

{{gwi:272546}}

• Happy2BeeME
    15 years ago

Hello from NH
    I have these speckled in my garden as well. I got them from my Grandmother's garden years ago. They LOVE to spread. Very pretty. I often thought they must have crossed some how as they grow along with the purple and white.

:) Karyn