Return to the Violet Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Violet Identification?

Posted by Jill_Ann_Williams Baltimore, MD (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 30, 03 at 7:27

Last weekend we were visiting friends at their old family home, outside of Baltimore, MD. While there, I decided to take a walk down by the pond. I was amazed and delighted to see the most interesting small clumps of Violets, happily growing and blooming in the full sunshine.
1. The abundant blossoms are just 1mm or approximately 1/2".
2. The blossom color is a light/medium blue with a slight white center.
3. On close examination, the lower petal has approx. 6 verticle lines coming down from the center of the blossom.
4. The leaves are small with a round/heartshape.
5. The flowering stem seems to come off the leaf stalk.
Would anyone be able to help with the indentification of this Violet?

Here is a link that might be useful: Identification of small blue Violet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Violet Identification?

Hello Jill Ann,
Hopefully the experienced ID experts will check in.
But in the mean time...I would guess Viola conspersa.
Second guess, some other stemmed blue. Although it doesn't look like the appalachiensis or walteri that I've grown, and doesn't have enough spur to make me think rostrata. So, adunca, maybe??

And as a long-shot third guess... I got to see a presumed striata/rostrata hybrid this past weekend, growing amongst a bunch of rostrata. Your violet bears some resemblance to that plant. So, possibly could be some type of striata hybrid derivative.

By the way, I still have an odorata hybrid potted up for you, although I think the bloom may be over for this spring.
Good luck with the ID, Tom

o

I received a message from our local respected horticulturist and Violet lover, Jean Worthley. She suspects that the Violet in question is the dog violet or Viola conspersa. I searched the internet and found the link as below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Viola conspersa

o

I'd go along with V. conspersa. Good find JA.

o

dont know what there called but the flowers on that kind tast great on salad in omlets or sugar coated

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Violet Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here