Return to the Violet Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Violet ID Unknown - HELP

Posted by johnsam z7/8 NC mtns (samkar@bellsouth.net) on
Wed, Apr 7, 04 at 9:05

This si the first time I have seen a speckled violet! It grows wild here in Lake Lure, NC.

Does anyone know if this is identified anywhere? What is it?

[img]http://community.webshots.com/s/image10/9/11/50/130391150yrolwC_ph.jpg[/img]

Sam [samkar@bellsouth.net]

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Violet ID Unknown - HELP

http://community.webshots.com/s/image10/9/11/50/130391150yrolwC_ph.jpg

I guess this sire won't show images so go to the listed site above.

o
Picture site

This is the pic site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Unknown violet

o

The leaves look too thick and the flowers are not spotted enough to be 'Freckles'. I have a collection of violets and if you want to put a trade together I can probably ID it for you as I am a plant taxonomist.

o

Viola sororia 'Freckles' does vary in its freckliness and hence overall blue/white bias. There's a 'Speckles' too. Your plant is in this spectrum. Unless you know a parentage (preferably vegetative) back to one or other, you can't categorically say it is either. Personally, I'd call it 'Freckles', but with awareness of being a little slack in my use of terminology.
(The leaves look OK to me, BTW.)

In passing, V. sororia cultivars are getting going rather nicely now in my (cold) greenhouse in the south of the UK. Confederate violet (f. priceana) is ahead of 'Freckles', and the red form is on longer flower stems than others, I know not why. No sign of 'Alice Witter' blooms yet; hmmm.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Violet Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here