Return to the Violet Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saving pansy and viola seeds for next season

Posted by CaraRose 5b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 10:54

Hi all,

I'm starting a lot of varieties of pansies this year by seed. Is it possible to save seeds for next year rather than buy new ones?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saving pansy and viola seeds for next season

Yes indeed, it is definitely something you can easily do. If you deadhead your pansies to keep them flowering you won't get many seeds, only from those which you have somehow overlooked, but if you let the flowers die naturally a certain amount will turn to seed heads, depending on whether or not they have been pollinated by some insect. When these seedheads change colour, but before they split into three parts, in each of which will be a little bundle of seeds, easily visible, take the seedhead inside and place it in a window in a bowl or on a saucer. When the seedhead splits you can shake the seeds into a container, and place them in foil to store in a cool place for next spring, or sow now in a sheltered area outside. I have seen it written that they need dark to germinate, but not knowing this, I have sown viola and pansy seeds in an open tub and they have germinated no problem.
The only thing to be aware of is that the seeds may not produce seedlings identical to their parents, however, a bedding viola which ran to seed in my garden last year has produced several seedlings around the garden naturally which all are very similar to the parent. It's just something that you can't depend on. Some of the seedlings might even revert to the wild form of pansy or close to that. On the other hand, you might come up with a wonderful new variety of pansy, from which you can take cuttings in future years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Violet Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here