Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erthgoddess

Sources for v. odorata and species violets

Peggy Thompson
15 years ago

Last year, I became interested in starting a collection of violets. I had ordered some native violets from Viola Valley (www.violavalleywildflowers.com, nice native bareroot selection, but may be mislabelled) and Sandy Mush Herb Farm (www.sandymushherbs.com, good selection of natives and a few odorata)and intended to order v. odorata cultivars from Canyon Creek Nursery this spring. I was dismayed to learn that CCN was no longer operating a mail order business.

However, I have managed to make a nice start on my collection and thought I would share the results of my search with my fellow viola lovers. If there are other sources that can be added to this list, please do! I think it is critical that we support small specialty businesses, especially in this harsh economic climate.

Sequim Rare Plants, www.sequimrareplants.com, nice selection of perennial violas, nice healthy plants.

Well-Sweep Herb Farm, www.wellsweep.com, great selection of odorata cultivars and native species, nice healthy plants.

Goodwin Creek Gardens, www.goodwincreekgardens.com, a couple of v. odorata cultivars, species violets.

Chiltern Seeds, www.chilternseeds.co.uk. I haven't ordered from this company, but they have a great selection of species violet seeds.

Sunshine Farm and Gardens, www.sunfarm.com. Great selection of species violets, but I haven't ordered from them. Email them for availability.

Fantastik Gardens, www.fantastikgardens.com, unusual sororia cultivars.

Hortico, www.hortico.com, great native selection.

Gardens of the Blue Ridge, www.gardensoftheblueridge.com, native violets.

Prairie Moon Nursery, www.prairiemoon.com, native violet plants and seeds.

Annies Annuals, www.anniesannuals.com, lots of annual violas, some perennial violas and species violas.

Toadshade Wildflower Farm, www.toadshade.com,native violets.

Lazy S's Farm, www.lazyssfarm.com, nice selection of various cultivars.

Still looking for rarer cultivars of v. odorata and Parma, especially pink and yellow! :)

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services