Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenpaws_va

wild hybrids? - need an ID

gardenpaws_VA
20 years ago

I'm a newbie on violets, so please forgive if I haven't given the right info.

I've got a really neat violet under my oak tree and I can't match it up exactly with any of the things on the AVS site or the wildflower books that I have. In flower character, it's closest to V. cucullata, with beard on only the lateral petals, but there is very strong veining leading to a white 'heart'. The leaves, however, are very triangular, almost twice as long as broad, with a relatively narrow sinus at the base. No hairs that I can see on the leaves or stems, and the flower spur doesn't extend beyond the curve of the stem. Flower color is variable according to temperature - lighter overall in sun or warmer weather - but we're talking reddish-violet on the petal tips, lightening and becoming more blue toward the center. Deep red-violet veining over blue-lavender inner petals creates an impression of an almost electric-blue halo surrounding the white center. In my garden, it maxes out at about 4 inches high, blooms slightly above foliage, and seeds itself enthusiastically and (I think) identically.

If I were farther west, I'd guess V. missouriensis, but in VA, and a local plant as far as I know, ????? Its (violet) neighbors include seedlings of Rosina, V. blanda, V. canadensis(?), V. sororia in variety. Growing environment is dry shady clay, except when it pours rain and makes puddles for a few hours.

Reason I asked about hybrids is that I'm used to asters, which hybridize if you look at them cross-eyed.

Hope someone can give me a clue or two -

Robin

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus