Return to the Violet Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something a little gross

Posted by prussell z6 TN (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 6, 04 at 16:14

I tried taking a photo of this, but could never get it to work. I have a violet that did something really creepy over winter. It died back down to the ground, but left this solid, brain-like mass of hard stuff at its exposed crown. I mulched the bed heavily, and nothing else had an exposed crown, so this plant really just seemed like it wanted this...thing esposed. It was actually a bit disgusting. But it leafed out a couple of weeks ago, and now has fairly normal looking purple violet flowers. I can try to take some pics of the growth, but can anyone identify that weird life form left over the winter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something a little gross

what type of mulch did you use? I have seen a "growth" as you describe, growing in old wood chips. I have always assumed it was a fungus of some sort. Perhaps this growth was a result of your mulch and the violet is trying valiantly to grow up through it??
just a guess.
vicki

o

It wasn't a mold thing. I used standard shredded hardwood mulch. This thing was the crown of the violet.

o

I saw this too! Mine are common violets, I scavenged two large clumps last year and have them at the corners. When I started cleaning up last month or so, I found these hard clumps where the violets had been. They aren't blooming yet, just putting up leaves. But I didn't notice the hard clump. Kinda looked like iris corms poking up, had never noticed it before.

I used compost for mulch, also fallen leaves. This wasn't the dog vomit fungus. I'll check mine tomorrow, see if the hard crown is still there.

o

The crown of the common purple violet (Viola sororia) normally looks kinda "brainy" to me, when it has no leaves. There are fattened stems all clumped together and pointing in different directions, right at the surface of the soil. There are marks (lines/wrinkles) across the stems, where the leaves had once been attached. Is this what you're seeing??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Violet Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here