Return to the Violet Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can you mix plants?

Posted by redlove123 5a (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 5, 04 at 16:20

I was told by my grandma that my great-grandma would take a left from a blue violet and a leaf from a red violet and slice the 2 stems at an angle so they would fit together. She would then adhear them together somehow and plant into soil. As long as the 2 leaves were stuck perfect they would become one plant and the blooms would be a mix of all color. IS this possible or are they just pulling my chain. this would have been in the 50's when she tryed this. But she is not longer around. Any info would be good hear about this one. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can you mix plants?

I believe that this is something that could be better answered on the African Violet forum (the popular houseplants that can be easily rooted from leaf cuttings are quite different from true violets). While some sort of graft chimera is a possibility, it could also be that the two leaves rooting in such close proximity would eventually give the appearance of a single plant with two different flower colors. If leaves taken from such a plant and rooted separately developed into plants with only one of the two colors, the latter is most likely what actually happened. The African Violet forum would be an appropriate place to pose your question; otherwise, it might take experimentation on your part to get closer to the truth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Violet Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here