Return to the Violet Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
violets from typical nurseries - are they perrenials?

Posted by Trisha_MO MO (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 11, 03 at 17:38

Last year I bought some violets from a nursery nearby and they were just labeled 'viola', nothing else. Any guesses as to what kind they might be? Are they likely to come up again this year? If so, will it be by reseeding?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: violets from typical nurseries - are they perrenials?

If they are violets, there is a very good chance they will reappear from last year's root-stock. The label 'viola' does not clarify the situation - it could relate to violets or pansies or bedding violas or violettas. Reseeding is, in general, an additional possibility.
If in doubt, don't hoe or weed, at least not for a good while yet.

o

I know they weren't pansies, but past that I really don't know what I bought, I believe the label by the plants just said violets.

I bought them because violets are supposed to be a host plant for some types of fritillary butterflies. Those may not have been the right type anyway though.

o

It seems alot of nurseries sell Viola tricolor as generically labeled "violas". When you bought it last year, was it in bloom?

o

yes, they were blooming. They were dark purple but could have had a little more color but I don't remember now. They also sold some yellow ones and I bought a couple of those too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Violet Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here