Return to the Violet Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seed swap/plant ID

Posted by blueridgemtngrl 6b (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 1, 08 at 17:57

I know it is a bit early for the folks in the north, but violets are starting to bloom here, and I was wondering if anyone was still interested in seeds.

I am posting pics of some I can't identify

I'd also be willing to exchange plants. It seems most of what I have don't colonize much, so I won't have a lot to share but can certainly do a few trades.

Blue Ridge Mountain Girl

Image link: Seed swap/plant ID (59 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seed swap/plant ID

I don't know that I'm in a position to do any swapping this year, but I did want to mention that the beautiful plant in your photo might be Viola lanceolata:

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=VIOLA

Stefan

o

Greetings Blueridgermtgrl,
I would love to swap!! Like you said though I've got to wait for things to thaw out!!
I have some plants of a purple violet that loves to spread probably V. soraria, it blooms early spring and has no scent(that I can tell). I also have a small labrador violet that should bloom this year. Oh and about a bazzilion pansies started from seed this year-I'm learning- I thought if it said "viola" it was a violet and if it said "pansy" then that's what it was! At least they're pretty mistakes!!LOL!! I wanted more violets!! Also ordered V.blanda,V.pubescens,V.pedata,and V.canadinsis(10 each) I don't know if they will flower this year and I've never ordered from this company before(fingers crossed!!). Let me know if there's anything that interests you.... Thanks -B

o

Hi Stephan,

Thanks for the ID. It sure looks like mine. What's interesting is that the distribution map shows counties in the southeast part of the state, and I'm in the mountains. I realize the data isn't complete, but it doesn't show any counties in my area.

Thanks again for the ID. I'll be posting a few more once more are blooming. Some I've identified but I still have a couple I haven't.

Blue Ridge Mountain Girl

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Violet Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here