Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyblues1965

My first time on this forum and I have lots of viola questions

ladyblues1965
17 years ago

Hello to everyone! I hope to learn a great deal from you who frequent this forum.

I have in the last couple years fallen in love with violas and violets. I bought some at lowes called stary night, columbine viola, and tiger eyes, at another nursery I bought some called sorbet they were all just my favorite flowers in my entire yard.I call them Happy faces LOL. Now I am on the hunt for many viola varieties and really find it hard to find them. first does anyone know a good sorce for many varieties?

Second are there folks who enjoy trading seeds or plants?

Third. I have several different violets in my yard. I have collected them from other places and transplanted them they seem to be really hardy and seed all over my yard. I havent had much luck trying to grow the viola from seed or keeping them happy in my yard. My yard is alot of shade with early morning sun. I keep most watered really well. I dont have problems growing much of anything else except pansy's and viola what could I be doing wrong?

I hope ya all can help me

Ladyblues

Comments (4)

• elvis
    17 years ago

ladyblues, my violets spread like crazy--underground runners, I think. And my violas re-seed crazily! Especially the ones called 'Johnny-Jump-Up'. The seed pods explode and shoot seeds all over the place; they even come up in my gravel driveway.

I do have a lot of sun, though. Did you know the name Johnny-Jump-Up is because they jump toward the sun? Where they have no competition for sun, they stay short. Where they are somewhat sun-blocked behind other plants, they get taller to be exposed to the sunlight (they 'jump'). Cool story.

Maybe you need to plant the violas in the sunniest areas you have, maybe even as deck plants if your deck gets sun?

• ladyblues1965
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the help Elvis! I will try that. Info on growing violas is really hard to find.
    Cool story! I had no idea they did well in the full sun.
    My violets do really well, no problem with them just the violas.
    agian thanks for the help
    Lady blues

• lilgardenjon72
    16 years ago

I too am quite taken with the violet family. I am planning on giving my slightly shaded parkway over to violets. My intention is to seed it rather heavily with Johnny Jump-up, and then put less hardy varieties in both direct and transplanted. I am hoping to get a variety of the hardiest to naturalize or at least re-seed.
    I am heartened to hear that shade isn't vital to these plants. That takes care of one of my worries.
    I am hoping that the various colors will make for interesting combos in future generations. I plan on pulling up undesirable plants (bad color or no flowers) to keep them looking nice. Has anyone done this?
    Does clover grow well with violets? As far as I can tell, they both like slightly acid soil and if the sun isn't bad for violets, that should work as well. Are they going to compete too much, or will they work together? The nitrogen should help the violets, right?
    At worst, I can let you all know how things look in spring of '09, when they will (hopefully) be coming back for me!

• stefanb8
    16 years ago

I really love your enthusiasm, lilgardenjon - I can't see how you could possibly go wrong with an attitude like that. Violets and clover can make good bedfellows, although I suspect that the clover will limit the violet density for all but the most vigorous species. I'm partial to both (I assume you meant white Dutch clover) - and while there may be some species of Viola that prefer not to be crowded by anything, if you set up a diverse habitat where no one thing is permitted to grow into a total monoculture there should be plenty of spaces for all kinds of violets. You might want to try the Johnny-jump-ups on a limited basis at first, just to see if you really want them covering everything; they can be very aggressive things and you'll soon have no shortage even with a limited initial planting. Perhaps starting with plenty of space between different types is advisable, because you can always change your mind and quickly plant more of what pleases you most after that. Who knows, you might just develop a taste for something too delicate for all the competition!

I can't wait to hear how it all turns out for you.