Return to the Violet Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dead heading

Posted by johnsnyder 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 22, 06 at 20:28

I had a problem wit my flahr garden last year, they weren't blooming to thier fool potential I had heard from another member that i might need to dead head my flahrs but i was wondering how long i should wait to do that.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dead heading

• Posted by etii France 8 (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 23, 06 at 6:09

Just don't understand what a flahr is :-/ I first believed it was a kind of slang word for flowers lol !!! But even with that transalation I don't understand your post :-/
If you're talking about a violet: no cutting is needed. If it's a pansy, you can cut blooms when they're dead except if you want seeds.
Really, do you mind being more explicit ? Or maybe someone which English is the tongue mother can be helpful ?

All the best.
Thierry.

o
RE: dead heading

i agree with thierry on dead heading flowers. most true violets dont need this. the fading flowers are generally very neat and disappear under the foliage. some of the double flowered types may look better if fading flowers are removed. the pansy part of the family benefit from a good cut back of the entire plant after a long flowering period. this encourages new growth in most cases.

(thierry? there are several non-standard ways to spell english. most are reflections of local accent where the standard spelling no longer reflects the spoken word. some would prefer a much more phonetic spelling of english. i correspond with a macedonian australian in sydney who grows palm species. he applies the phonetic principals of his native tongue to his spelling of english. it's kinda funky!: )
rob...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Violet Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here