Return to the Violet Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Invasive viola labradorica

Posted by sheilab5 z7 GA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 19, 03 at 20:54

Being a naive gardener a few years ago, I planted viola labradorica in a landscaping bed that borders my yard. I now have violets all through my grass....talk about invasive!! I've tried several weed killers but nothing seems to work. The grass is Bermuda. Does anyone know of anything I can use to kill this stuff without killing my grass and without having to dig up the noninvasive plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Invasive viola labradorica

You will definitely need to use a broadleaf herbicide again in order to kill the violets without harming the grass (it will kill any broadleaf plant, not just weeds - if you are concerned about killing a non-invasive plant nearby). The trick is that some weeds, like violets, can be especially tenacious and you'll have to do several successive applications every few weeks before the unwanted plants are gone. Pick an herbicide labeled for violets that lists dicamba as an ingredient in addition to the 2,4-D et al for the most effective treatment. Also, be sure to carefully follow the packaging instructions - improper temperatures and water/rain can render some products less useful.

If this should prove useless, then your only alternatives are to kill the grass and violets together with a nonselective herbicide and reseed/sod the lawn anew, or to dig out the violets and continue to dig out any seedlings that appear later on (which may go on for quite some time). Personally, I would enjoy having the violets in the grass and even encourage it - perhaps add even more species and varieties for diversity - but I certainly understand that this is simply not the look some people want. Good luck!

Stefan

o

LOL where I'm from, bermuda grass is the cursed intruder and violets are sought after and lovingly cultivated!!

o

Put a sign in your yard that says "free violets."

o

• Posted by Ron_B USDA 8 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, May 20, 03 at 23:11

You have Viola riviniana. V. riviniana 'Purpurea' is the V. labradorica of gardens.

My neighbor to the south has V. riviniana all through the upper part of his front lawn, too. It's cute at flowering time.

o

Hi,

Would you be interested in trading some of your invasive violets? They aren't invasive in my area :)

Jeanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Violet Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here