Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyofnc

Anyone ever candy violets or make extracts?

nancyofnc
15 years ago

OK, so I am over the top making candy violets one at a time in spring for use on my fancy cookies. What I would like to make is violet extract to capture that elusive scent and color of spring violets for my Violet Creams (candy). Searching the web did not yield anything except aromatherapy essential oils which I do not trust for edibility.

Anyone make their own "extracts of violets"?

Nancy the nancedar

Comments (3)

• stefanb8
    15 years ago

I haven't and can't offer too much in the way of advice for making a quality extract (maybe someone else can), but I do know of one product, a syrup, that can be had that is made from violet extract and does indeed smell and taste just like sweet violets. It's made by Monin, and I've purchased it online from them before (they ship out of Florida); it contains artificial coloring in addition to sugar and violet extract, but I think this is difficult to avoid in a product that isn't priced accordingly higher :) I recall running across old recipes for syrup of violets in the past, but not having tried them myself, I can't vouch for how well they extract the flavor and color.

I hope someone who has experimented will chime in for you. In one of the violet societies' magazines (International Violet Society, I think), they used to publish recipes, but I'm not sure if any of that is still online to be read.

• rosecats
    14 years ago

Jerry Traunfeld's book, The Herbfarm Cookbook, mentions that you can make a syrup from violets. His basic method is to make a simple syrup (combine 1 cup sugar & 3/4 c. water, bring to full boil & add plant material. Cover, remove from heat, let steep 30 minutes & then strain). He often uses violas & some pansies in recipes, prepping them by grinding equal amounts of sugar & the flowers in a blender & using the resulting paste in recipes or as a natural food color. I haven't tried these recipes myself, but I love his book!

I've candied violets & other flowers in the past - wonderful for decorating cakes.

• sheshe
    14 years ago

I make violet jelly. It is an old recipe and is on my
    home page about 3 pages in.
    I have also put candied violets on top of a lemon chiffon
    cake with a lemon frosting glaze. I believe
    I used confectioners sugar to candy the violets.
    Hope this helps.They were frosty looking and it turned out well.

sheshe