Return to the Violet Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
violet cousins...hybanthus

Posted by rob_peace VIC Aust (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 15, 06 at 23:49

i've recently made a 3000km road trip to the NSW north coast where my children live. along the way i stopped in several places to look for violets in the bush. i found some colonies of viola betonicifolia and also of the viola family cousin, hybanthus stellarioides. it's a small shrub of the understory and has seed capsules very like a violet. the flower is violet-like also but has much reduced petals except the lower one. i read that it is a succesful pot plant which can be grown from cuttings. the plants i found were growing on a fire access track at a waste recycling area near port macquarie, hardly pristine bush, so i collected some cuttings to try.

Image link: violet cousins...hybanthus (44 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: violet cousins...hybanthus

waouw!

That's really a fantastic "lower petal not reduced"!! lol
Scented by chance?

This story makes me remember that my Hymenanthera dentata did bloom several weeks ago...( Also another australian violaceae) Nearly microscopic yellow flowers!!
XXXX

o
RE: violet cousins...hybanthus

hi nathalie,
yes, i thought you might like this little discovery! i was thinking of the genetic study you needed material for. i dont think the flowers are scented but actually didnt check. most of the australian violets are not scented so it's not normal for me to check. i'm glad you have had success with hymenanthera, the tree violet. i remember collecting that seed on an alpine road trip some years back.
rob...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Violet Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here