Return to the Violet Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did I Kill Viola 'Rebecca'?

Posted by shadara 5b-6a (My Page) on
Fri, May 14, 10 at 1:02

Had my eye on this plant for over a year and finally saw it at my local GH (to my delight).

Brought it home and seeing a 1 gallon container, it looked like several little plants via rhizomes. Figured to divide it by 50% and plant each half on entrance of either side of north-facing patio gardens.

Boy... was I wrong. I had spots ready, amended soil, watered each hole, ready with potted plant, and started to divide in half like I intended. About almost done a huge chunk of potting soil and smaller-looking roots just plopped off. I felt further and realized that all that foliage mat of little leaves was from ONE plant/stalk.

So I planted both: Plant above with half roots, and the chumk of half-roots that I hacked off with a knife.

Do you think either will survive. Please let me know of your input and info. I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
"Newb gardener, only second season of perennial plants"

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did I Kill Viola 'Rebecca'?

Hi, I have this violet. Long time no answer huh?
I am betting it came back. Mine started a new plant in
a place it preferred.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Violet Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here