Comments (6)

• joanmary_z10
    18 years ago

etii is this beauty also fragrant?

• etii
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello,

No way, that's beauty is not a scented one :-)
    I made a cross between that one and viola odorata alba: maybe I'll get about the same flower with a nice flagrant :-) Crossed fingers it works :-)

Take care.
    Thierry.

• rob_peace
    18 years ago

hi thierry!
    nice pic...thanks.
    that is the same as the violet i call sororia alba, but do you have the one with no striae and a greenish throat?
    i seperate this form out from alba and call it 'immaculata' or 'white ladies'. these are names from literature which seem to match my violet. i suspect some authors have seen only one form and wandered why there are several names. (zambra, for example) any thoughts on that?

rob...

• etii
    Original Author
    18 years ago

G'day Rob :-)

Hope you're doing fine :-)
    I've never heard before about "your" viola sororia alba with no striae and a greenish throat. Do you have a pic ? Does it look like a kind of big viola diffusa ? No cross around ?
    I'd be so glad to have a look at such a gorgeous new one :-) About the name: if it's sororia ALBA immaculata, YES :-) I do prefer latin names from English ones, sorry for that ;-)

Sororia alba is really strange: mine is having cleistogam blooms !! I thought (I must be wrong) sororia is not making anyone.
    You know I've been always thinking (poor brain ;-) white violets were a bit like albino forms: which viola doesn't have a "white version" ?! And that's why they were called "alba". But sororia alba is definitively a part. Either "alba" for albino forms is ok and "sororia alba" is not a good name or "alba" for albino forms is not a good word and what about changing it ?
    Interesting sororia, isn't it ? Do you know other sororia making cleistogam flowers ? If not, maybe sororia alba is a kind of link between European and American violets: what do you think ?!

Take care :-)
    Thierry.

• rob_peace
    18 years ago

hi, thierry...
    it's not the season for sororia violets here yet...
    i dont have a pic in storage. i will make one for you as the flowers arrive.
    i think there may be a difference between 'alba' and 'albino' forms. the japanese growers alerted me to this. the 'alba' form is a white-flowered form, the 'albino' form is a form lacking pigment in the entire plant which makes the flowers white. in the 'albino', the stems and leaves will have no pigment either...the plants look very plale green and there are no flower markings. 'albino' forms were told to me to be not so strong growing. i have an australian native orchid, dendrobium kingianum, in an 'albino' form. very cute!
    yes, there are often white forms of violets.
    my sororia violets all make plenty of cleistogamous seed.

cheers,
    rob...

• etii
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi !

I can hardly wait until U make me/us see that beauty :-)
    About albino....Well...I've never suffered so much from not being a English spoken man ! You can't imagine how hard it is just to try to say something. Well well well...let's try again :-)
    You can not compare animals and plants, I made a mistake and my purpose was not there. By saying "albino forms" I mean there's a genetic fact witch often happens like albino for animals.
    I don't think a gene in plants ask for the leaves to be green, as far as the green color is mainly the result of chlorophyle. However there must be a gene in violet asking for a colored bloom. Now, a bit like in albino for animals, a missing gene or defective one makes that the flower doesn't have any color :-) I don't consider (am I wrong ?) white as a color, but as a missing one.
    So...should we give a common name to that kind of violets (alba is the more used one), I mean with a missing color for the flowers so as to make the different from really white especies ? And is sororia alba à missing colored sororia (whitch one ?) or a part ?
    About cleistogamous seeds, my sororia alba is making cleistogamous flowers !! I've always seen sororia making pods but never that kind of cleistogamous blooms like odoratas...have an idea ? Sorry if it sounds stupide and if I look like a kid discovering the sun is in the sky lol !!
    God !!! A whole life won't be enough to learn all the things I should n would like to know about violets !!

Take care :-)
    Thierry.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio