Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eibren

Wild White Violet in Lawn

eibren
15 years ago

We have a very shady area near a Norway maple that little, including lawn, will grow in, so I was rather charmed when a little white violet decided to locate there.

I am used to the litte purple kind that grows from leaves at the base, the way dandilion leaves are organized, and that are heart-shaped.

After a couple of years, the white violet has spread over an area of about ten square feet--not densely, but I have been watching it a bit because I do not like its growth habit as much. Instead of its leaves all staying at the base, they also emerge along a stem.

Given that I am located in South Central Pennsylvania near Reeser's Summit, could anyone on here guess as to the identity of this white violet? So far it has restricted itself to a very shady spot, but I would not want to see it competing with the purple ones, because I like those better.

I would like to be able to have a possible name for it so I could do some research as to its general characteristics--especially how it grows when not in deep shade.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!