Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dinajean_gw

Wild violets

dinajean(SCzone7b)
12 years ago

I found some violets growing in a bed this year, probably dug them with some daffys that I transplanted last year. They have grown to 12 inches or more, nice bushy mounds, very pretty. My question is if I leave them where they are, will they smother my daffys in the spring? Should I transplant to a different bed with no bulbs? Thanks for any advice.

Dina in upstate SC

Comments (2)

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

They won't smother your daffs. When they come up and bloom in the spring, they are small. It's not until after they bloom that they begin to get big and by that time the daffodil foliage is pretty much done. Depending on the type of violet, those pretty blooms may not be the source of the seeds. The ones that produce the seeds may be at the base of the plant, nearly invisible and hidden from sight. I often rip out old plants and let a few new seedlings come up to take their places, otherwise I would be smothered in foot-tall violet foliage. Violets will make a dense ground cover if you let them, they can be very invasive if you don't keep them under control.

• dinajean(SCzone7b)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your answer. I have noticed since that the leaves and stems are yellowing the way my daffys foliage does - is this a normal cycle for them or could they just be with too much sun/ too little water?

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida