Return to the Violet Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Variegated foliage on violets?

Posted by PamelaZ z5 NW PA (My Page) on
Tue, May 11, 04 at 8:04

Is this possible? I've never seen green and yellow foliage on a violet but they are growing wild in the cemetery across the street. They have very small leaves and dark purple flowers. Is this a find a just a common accident?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Variegated foliage on violets?

Yes it is possible.
But no it is not a common accident.

So it would be very interesting to see a piccy, please Pamela...

Several cultivars are known with variegated foliage (green with white or cream/yellow), eg. 'Rodney Davey', 'Fuji Dawn', 'Dancing Geisha', 'Albo marginata', 'Armandine Millet', The Czar Variegated', 'Marie Giuerin', Quatre Saisons Variegated', 'Tigre Or', arising from various species (eg. odorata, alba, riviniana, selkirkii, variegata, tokubuchiana).
I have also seen variegated leaves on Vv. keiskei, jaubertiana, septemloba?, reichenbachiana, betonicifolia, eg.

In a cemetary, V. odorata is quite likely, though US natives could easily crop up there as well. It would be very interesting to find out which species you have noticed, since I don't think any of the early variegated odorata cultivars are still going. Kathleen Inman has/had a good cream-edged V. odorata, at least a few years ago, but it was not ascribed to a particular cultivar. And I think Bob Brown sourced one from New Zealand a few years back, if memory serves me correctly. But those are very unusual finds. We need a piccy of yours!! You may have rediscovered an old cultivar or found what could become a new one...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Violet Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here