Return to the Violet Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
confused about seed growing

Posted by trancegemini_wa Aust (My Page) on
Wed, May 28, 08 at 9:00

hi violet experts, can anyone help with this?

I havent been able to find violet plants in the nursery (I used to have it in my garden but lost it years ago) and have wanted to replace it for ages. I bought seeds (queen charlotte, alba and sulphurea) and am trying to grow them that way.

after much searching for info there is something I'm confused about. most of the sites say to grow in punnets for a few weeks, then refridgerate for varying lengths of time then take them out for germination, but I've also read that they should be taken out of the fridge after they start to germinate.

I'm confused which is correct? If I remove them after a couple of months in there to a warmer spot, are they likely to germinate? or do I need to keep checking them for signs while still in the fridge?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: confused about seed growing

• Posted by etii France 8 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 7, 08 at 11:16

Hello !

The best way to make seeds germinate is the one working (just kidding), I heard about so many ones.
Anyway, definitively hard to say...I tried different ways, and the best one working here is the following one:
I mixe up good compost and sand, put the seeds, make so that the ground is always wet and wait wait wait wait. I let nature do its job and do it during the fall so that the cold during winter make its job on seeds. Most of the time it works, sometimes it does NOT.
This spring have been the luckiest of my live concerning violets seeds but some have been very very disappointing. That's live :-)

All the best - Thierry :-)

o

hi thierry and thanks for replying. It doesnt get very cold here so I understood they need to go in the fridge? is this true? My climate is equal to about zone 11, and winter nights generally stay above frost?

thanks for your help

o

• Posted by etii France 8 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 8, 08 at 11:52

Yes, a cold period is needed however it depends on the kind of violets. I guess using the fridge is a good idea...but I don't know how and how long :-(
It's really difficult to give good advices because making seeds germinate is very random, there's no miraculous formula, unfortunately.
Is zone 11 a tropical climate ? If so...I'm afraid nothing will come, not only need violets' seeds some cold to germinate but so they do to bloom :-/

Good luck - All the best
Thierry :-)

o

thanks thierry, my climate is mediterranean and my winters are cool but my area is coastal and flat so it's pretty much frost free. The seeds Im growing are viola odorata. thanks for your help though, I guess there's no sure way and I'll just experiment and see if it works. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Violet Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here