Return to the Violet Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problems with propagation by splitting plants

Posted by GrowingMad NYC (My Page) on
Thu, May 1, 03 at 10:42

I just attempted to split a plant that had 2 new crowns. I potted them all in new Shcultz fertilizer and have been watering them every couple of days. The leaves on the bottom are turning brown and dying while the upper leaves are curling and eventually turning color and dying as well. I'm afraid all the plants are going to be lost. I'm sure the plants were traumatized by splitting and repotting, but is there anything that can recover them ??
They also haven't given flowers in about 6-9 months. I don't know if that's a sign of over/underwatering, over/under exposure to light, temp. etc. And can anyone tell me anything about putting them in plastic bags ?? I read a couple of messages about that, but I don't know what that does for the plant or how to go about doing it ?? Can you put the whole pot and soil in the bag, or do you take it out of the pot ??

thanks !!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problems with propagation by splitting plants

If these are violets:

1. Not flowering for 6-9 months is not necessarily a problem; not flowering for 12 months is a problem. The latter might suggest not getting a cold spell in winter, having too much nitrogen or not enough potassium, preventing the plant from experiencing lengthening days, and too much/deep shade would not help.

2. Sickliness after splitting a crown: How much good root was left on the piece which is poorly? Does the scar where it was split look healthy or it is rotting (with/without woolly fungus)? Has it been overwatered and/or given too rich and poorly-drained compost? Has it been in too much sun since splitting? The behaviour of the leaves suggests the plant has not re-established its sap stream - which can be due to one or more of the aforementioned factors. It might be difficult to save it now, but if it still has some good parts, treat it like a cutting. That is: cut it back to sound stem tissue, cut most leaf blades by about 75% (to reduce fluid loss), dunk in fungicide, plant in open 50/50 sharp-sand/peaty compost and keep in a partially closed container in good light but out of sun. Whether that rescue will succeed depends a lot on the species you have (many far eastern species root fairly well from pieces of root) and on luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Violet Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here