Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pele03

How Long Will Violas Bloom?

pele03
19 years ago

Hi All,

I am new to flowers and have a small container garden on my front porch this summer...I bought some very pretty yellow and purple Viola's and planted them in a container.

My question is how long do they bloom? All summer or just spring?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (6)

• Violet_Skies_
    19 years ago

I was wondering this too. I received three varieties of violet plants for my birthday, all ordered from Select Seeds: Parma, Lianne, and Rosina. All bloomed beautifully for about a month, then stopped. Now Lianne has tons of seed pods that I keep removing. The other two plants just seem to be growing like crazy, but no new flowers nor seed pods. I have Osmocote time release fertilizer in the planter soil. They are kept evenly moist. They are in almost total bright shade. That is, they are on a covered deck, right near the part of the deck that does get sun, but not actually in the sun. Should I move them into more sun, would that help them bloom more? They seem very happy and healthy where they are, except for having no flowers lately.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    19 years ago

Violet skies, you should stop feeding them because most plant foods give lush leafy growth and few flowers. Cut the long stems down and they should return with a flush of bloom when the weather gets cooler. Don't overwater and don't let it dry out. A shady place with a.m. sun would be best.

They hate the heat of summer, so maybe they're at the point in their life cycle where they're going to seed and think they're finished blooming. Cut off all the seed pods when you cut back the stems. By the way, those seeds may germinate into new plants for the fall!

• dmi188
    19 years ago

Violet skies, are the three you got violets? My rosina is a violet...blooms only in spring for a short time. Violas, on the other hand, bloom all spring, into summer, and sometimes fall.

• Violet_Skies_
    19 years ago

Yes, they are definitely violets. You can probably see them on the select seeds website. (I have violas too, they are as you said, nonstop bloomers.) I can't really un-fertilize them now, as they have slow release fertilizer mixed into their container soil, but your point makes sense. I will see if I can move them into a little more sun somehow...tricky where I live. I am saving the seed pods just to try them out. I really miss their wonderful scent...hope something works! Thanks for the help!

• malriches
    8 years ago

I am New to gardening well sort of :-) and I have Violas in my larger Pots that I share with Violas ( Ground Cover) will the Violas Take away the moisture from the other Plants or will they Happily grow together ? I am thinking of using the Violas as ground cover for a fairly large area in the front of my home with Topias sharing the same area any advice would be surely appreciated . Mal :-)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting