Return to the Violet Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Violet Pests

Posted by paulamay Long Island,NY (My Page) on
Sat, May 6, 06 at 13:26

I have read a list of the most usual violet pests, but none of the descriptions seem to fit. Each year, my violets come into full bloom in May and continue to leaf out throughout the summer. By July, however, they begin to be eaten by something. Ragged round holes the size of a pencil eraser appear on virtually every leaf. Does anyone know what is happening and how I can make it stop?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Violet Pests

• Posted by gerdk 7 Europe (My Page) on
    Wed, May 10, 06 at 13:46

What's about slugs?
If not, vine weevils (Otiorhynchus sulcatus) maybe the pest.
Control is possible with Methiocarb or Metaldehyde pellets (slugs) and Imidacloprid or nematodes (vine weevils).
Gerd Knoche. Germany

o

Paula,

No disrespect to my learned friend Gerd, but if it was vine weevil, I'd expect you to comment on the *edges* of the leaves being nibbled, but you don't...

ragged holes...
...hmmm...
if they were less ragged, I'd suggest leaf-cutter bees.
But I've never seen or heard of them going for violets (they go for maples in my garden).

The other holes that come to mind, re Viola, are those associated with shot-hole disease, a fungal problem where each spot starts, spreads, then the dead centre drops out. Those holes are more ragged, but not usually as large as you describe, in my experience.

If you can post a photo, that might help....

o

Thank you so much! I will try all the options. I have never seen slugs in my garden, but there is always the possibility that I haven't slipped on them yet.

I will take pictures when and if they appear, but I hope they don't!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Violet Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here