Return to the Violet Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wild Violets & Peonies- do they like each other?

Posted by TRichard1966 Z5NH (My Page) on
Mon, May 23, 05 at 14:15

I just planted a couple of wild violet clumps at the base of my peonies. Want them to spread. Any reason they shouldn't be near the peonies?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wild Violets & Peonies- do they like each other?

• Posted by GerdK 7 Europe (My Page) on
    Mon, May 23, 05 at 14:33

Three different species of American violets are growing nicely close to my Paeonia officinalis since about 5 years.
Last year I found violets side by side with peonies in the wild near Artvin/Turkey.
Kind regards
Gerd

o

I have two peony bushes that live quite contentedly near the wild violets. I planted the peonies, the violets just showed up. I consider them weeds (the violets), but my sister won't let me weed whack them. Some are purple and white, some are yellow and white.

o

I have a fair amount of peonies and various kinds of wild violets and had never thought of this before. There are less violets near the peonies and they maintain individual clumps rather than forming a solid mat as they do in other parts of my garden. I don't know if others have noticed the same thing or not. Any thoughts?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Violet Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here