Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandymulvaine

violet orders have arrived

brandymulvaine
15 years ago

Just an update-ordered about 40-50 violets from three different sources-put them in 4inch pots for now-some inside,some outside-some have made seed(any tips on propagation by seed would be appreciated)

Wow, didn't realize one picture per post-so here's the birdsfoot-six have come up so far(they were shipped bare root)-B

Image link:

Comments (5)

• etii
    15 years ago

GREAT !
    How are they going now ? :-)

All the best - Thierry :-)

• brandymulvaine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Greeting Thierry!
    They're all doing great! The weather here has made things slow growing though:-(
    I lost two birdsfoot violets to rootrot-my fault, I kept them inside. I have a 55gal fish tank set up with grow lights and a fan. All the ones from Canyon Creek are growing like crazy and I may have to plant them in the ground or maybe bigger pots;-) I'm so afraid they won't survive the winters!!
    I'll try to post some pictures, but this forum was funny about it last time.

V.striata, the one on the left was kept inside(and a little pansy)

from Canyon Creek:top-Alice Witter,Lianne bottom-Lianne,Mme Armandine Pages

from Viola Valley:downy yellow violets(sent bare-root)

from Viola Valley-canadian white violets

from Canyon Creek-clockwise from top:Priceana,Fair Oaks,Alice de Rothschild,Lianne, and Clive Groves

Clive Groves X Sulphurea(thanks Tom!)left one kept inside

from Viola Valley:clockwise from top-downy yellow,canadian,white sweet(square pots), and canadian

and birdsfoot(feet??) from Viola Valley
    -B

• etii
    15 years ago

Hi !

Lovely pics (my eyes are coming ;oP): thanks a lot !

All the best - Thierry :-)

• brandymulvaine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Update: April 09
    Well the snow finally melted and things have started growing again!
    I took a leap of faith and planted the birdsfoot(feet?) from Viola Valley in the sand under the willow tree and they've come back!! I've counted eight-they're hard to spot at first 'cause the leaves start out as a reddish-purple color.
    The downy violets, also from Viola Valley, I left in pots and put the whole thing in the ground! There were four of them and I see life in a couple of pots so far.
    The Canadians(from VV) were put in the rose garden and are all fine.
    The white sweet(VV) were put under the apple tree, I think, the marker came off the tag(damit!)
    Of the V. striatas that were so generously given to me I have one left-if you decide to bring one in over the winter AND it gets spider mites DON'T spray it!! I did and it promptly died :-(
    The Clive Groves crosses(also a donation, thanks man!)are doing quite well in the rose garden and are blooming their fool heads off as we speak.
    From Canyon Creek the Liannes survived, two outside and one in the kitchen window(yes, it has spider mites but doesn't seem to mind!)
    Mme Armandine Pages,Fair Oaks,Clive Groves, and Alice de Rothschild spent the winter inside with the jasmine tree-Clive and Alice are well, but the cats made short work of Mme Armandine Pages and Fair Oaks is in recovery.
    Alice Witter and Priceana are under the willow tree, I thought they were dead but I see new growth popping up from around the sides. The marker wore off of their tags so I don't know who is who!
    That concludes the saga of my violets.
    -B

• membertom
    15 years ago

Hi Brandy,
    That's great news that most all of your violets are doing so well! I got an especially big smile from the news of the sulphurea X Clive Groves cross "blooming their fool heads off". It's good to know that they made it through the winter for you. Now I hope that you'll get to see some seedlings pop up from that one, because they've been running the whole gamut of odorata colors. Then you'll REALLY be hooked!!!
    Thanks for the follow-up, and best wishes for continued success!
    Tom

Sponsored