Return to the Violet Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Viola Memories

Posted by carolelen (My Page) on
Tue, May 10, 05 at 16:59

My Mothers favourite flower was Violets - she always wore a violet broach.
She died in 1956 when I was 12 and we were a family of 7 children .My last memories to this day was of us all holding a bunch of violets and sprinkling them inside her grave at the funeral.
Fifty years on for my retirement I got a greenhouse and propogate violas ( every colour and kind available in her memory. My little business card is violet and i have called myself "viola memories" - heaven sent - and even called my home"viola cottage"
Talk about a gift from above. I have never been happier.They make me smile.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Viola Memories

• Posted by etii France 8 (My Page) on
    Fri, May 13, 05 at 19:38

from the 3rd century B.C. Chinese sage known
as Chuang-tzu:

"Once upon a time, I dreamed I was a butterfly,
fluttering hither and thither. Suddenly I awakened,
and there I lay, myself again. Now I do not know
whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly,
or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man."

o

What a lovely memorial to your mother, and sweet memories and fragrances for you!

o

both my mother and paternal grandmother carried the name 'violet'. interesting neither were ever called by this name but used their second names. i have experienced this pattern many times...there is something almost reclusive about violets, perhaps?? ivy, rose and myrtle were family names, too, but these ladies, aunts, great aunts and second cousins, were known under these floral names.
rob...

o

I have strong floral memories of my grandmother( we lived in her house till she died when I was 9) and my mother. Lilacs,roses,poenies,bleeding hearts,lilies, flags, violets, forget-me-nots. Here I am,age 52, just getting into planting flowers. I think I'm trying to re-create my happy childhood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Violet Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here