Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tepelus

Got one little Sylettas sprout

tepelus
15 years ago

Out of a packet of about 20 seeds, only one little soldier sprouted for me. I sowed them in February via the winter sowing method. I was really hoping more would sprout, but after waiting two months to see if any more would follow this little guy, I gave up. I potted him up in a smaller pot and dumped the rest of the dirt into the flower bed, just in case the seeds, if they are still around and do sprout, will be in the bed where I want them. At least I got one, and he is finally (or is it a she?) getting his first set of true leaves, and they are variegated. Can't wait til he grows up more! And spread!

Karen

Comments (4)

• etii
    15 years ago

Hello !

Viola koreana sylettas is not a variegated violet but a great one with beautiful leaves however.
    Here's a useful link to understand what a variegated plant is.

All the best - Thierry :o)

Here is a link that might be useful: variegation

• carol23_gw
    15 years ago

I believe the correct name of that plant is Viola variegata , and I believe it is variegated.

• etii
    15 years ago

Hi !

I don't agree at all ;oP I won't fight for that but...
    Here is a variegated violet:

Here is a totally normal one, viola selkirki for example:

There are many, viola 'Mars' is another example...

That's the normal way those violets are, there don't have any variegation.

If you consider different colors in a foliage as being a variegation, all plant can be considered as variegated (never ending story). And then how do you name chlorophyll-deficient plants ?! Most so called variegated plants are named that way just for commercial need meaning they have different colors.

All the best - Thierry :)

PS: too big photos ? LOL So what ?!

• tepelus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Heh, I guess I should have used the word patterned leaves instead of variegated, because now that you have explained it, variegated doesn't describe it. Here's a picture of the little guy.

{{gwi:1338996}}

Karen