Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mama_bear_darwin

Need help w/ questions for GardenWeb Violet FAQ

Mama_Bear_Darwin
21 years ago

I have volunteered to help compile a FAQ for the GardenWeb Violet Forum. I need suggestions for questions that should be on the FAQ. Thanks in advance for all your help!

Comments (8)

• Mike Hardman
    21 years ago

Good on you, Mama Bear!
    Here are a few suggestions off the top of my head.

What's the difference between a violet, a pansy, a viola,
    and a violetta ?

Seeds: How to collect, store, sow, germinate (likely to have different answers depending on whether violet or pansy/viola/violetta) ?

How to grow: soils, siting, exposure, hardiness, etc. ?

Pests and diseases: how to control ?

Which violets/pansies are scented ?

Why are african violets not dicsussed here ?

How to get rid of violets from lawns ?

Suggestions of violets/pansies for specific sites: dry shade, wet shade, dry sun, wet sun, seaside exposure, extreme cold, high heat and humidity ?

Is there are Cultivar Registration Authority (CRA) for Viola ? How can I contact them ?

I have heard violets have two types of flower, please explain. And does this apply to all species of Viola ?

• Mama_Bear_Darwin
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Mike, FANTASTIC questions - thank you so much!!!

Anybody else?

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    21 years ago

If you include how to get rid of violets, how about another question "How do you use violets as a groundcover?", since so many people are on BOTH (emphasis, not yelling) sides of this issue.

Just trying to be fair. Sheesh, I cannot imagine how violets can cause so much controvery! Although I'm sure we can all agree, violets are great to feel strongly about.

• Mike Hardman
    21 years ago

Another one (thanks for jogging the old grey matter, Rob): Can violets be used in hanging baskets ?

The answer is "Yes".

V. hederacea easily, due to its creeping habit.

But also, V. odorata and Parma violets - as demonstrated by Hardy's Cottage Garden Plants. The latter was mentioned in 'The Garden' magazine Feb 2001 p.90; I include here a small explanatory excerpt. "Another Hardy's innovation is the planting of sweet and Parma violets in moss-lined hanging baskets. String-growing and semi-trailing cultivars such as the white, double 'Comte de Chamboud' respond well to this treatment. Planted between late summer and autumn, such baskets will fill porches and conservatories with fragrance from November until Easter."

• Mama_Bear_Darwin
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Rob, great contributions! I don't think the "how to get rid of wild violets" question should be offensive. I think the first comment I usually get from people when I tell them I'm cultivating native species violets in my landscaping is, "aren't you afraid they'll take over your lawn?" (my gut response is, "I hope so"), so it's a reasonable question.

I would like to get questions for a lot more members, so everybody else, please put on your thinking caps and help me out. THANKS!!!

• mehitabel
    20 years ago

I would like to see a discussion of how to grow/keep parmas and odoratas in pots and bring indoors for blooming and or protection in cold climates. Also, flowering under lights?

• Cena
    20 years ago

How about good places to find these plants I've never heard of discussed with such passion before.

I realize that the rules limit promoting one grower, gardener, seed source over another, but when you are feeling the need, where do you find things that have been mentioned in the above posts? Do you lot have an exchange page, or do you go over to another? Do violets reproduce readily enough to worry about trades, places to buy, places to learn about different varieties?

Oh, and what/where are good places to learn about such things?

• gardenpaws_VA
    20 years ago

How about some justifications for *keeping* violets in the lawn (like, supporting your local fritillaries, having something that grows better than grass, . . .)?

Sponsored