Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wackyjenny

violets in hanging pot

wackyjenny
21 years ago

Well, I bot a $20 pot of violets which is hanging in front of the house facing east. It had a LOT of blooms when I got it, but now there are just stick-like things protruding where there once were blooms. We've had a LOT of rain lately, temps down close to freezing and little sun. Is this little guy gonna be ok? How can I be helping it now?

Comments (7)

• Mike Hardman
    21 years ago

Not knowing what species you have means I have to guess a little. The first thing that comes to mind is that your violets are simply past their flowering season. What the leaves like ? What do you see on the end of the flower stalks (nothing or three short sticks maybe half an inch long) ?

• wackyjenny
    Original Author
    21 years ago

The sticks are about six inches long. I think you're probably right about it being done blooming. Poo. It was so pretty. Will it bloom again over the course of the summer or is it all done? The leaves are very soft and yummy........

• Mike Hardman
    21 years ago

Soft and yummy leaves eh?!
    That might be OK.
    Soft and flaccid would be a bad sign - either short of water or overwatered and (through dying roots) leaves still short of water. So - I'm not sure.

But if you have good new leaves coming, be patient. Meanwhile you can cut back the dead stalks, and any straggly or weak stems. Once the plant has a decent crop of new leaves (assuming you haven't eaten them), feed with weak tomato food once a week - that might just kick start another bout of flowering in a month or so.

• Mike Hardman
    21 years ago

Oops - sorry - thought you had pansies/violas. Re-reading your original posting tells me you have violets.
    Hence: Don't do the tomato feed - you won't get flowers again until next spring anyway, or you might get a few in the autumn, depending on the type of violet. Weak nitrogenous feed this time of year will help build up the foliage, which will help give a good show of flowers next spring.

• wackyjenny
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Thanks for the advice, Mike. I'm still learning, and do appreciate your help.

• HayLady
    20 years ago

A friend gave me a start of a violet (blue in color and has long brown vine like pieces coming from the plant) The plants seem to spread out with shoots reaching severl inches long or tall and sometimes hang over the pot. I was told the blooms come from these brown vines. Was told they were hanging violets, can you tell me what kind of plant do I have?

Thanks

Haylady

• Mike Hardman
    20 years ago

The violet in the genus Viola most likely to be called a hanging violet is Viola hederacea, but I don't associate 'long brown vine like pieces' with it... Have a search for pictures of that species nontheless. It has been discussed on this forum several times.

Mike

Sponsored