Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momamamo

variegated violet in my lawn

momamamo
15 years ago

Hi. I found a variegated violet in my lawn. The foliage started out green, then it became spotted. I moved it so that it can grow away from my lawn mower. What might I expect from it in the future? Thanks!! Maureen

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (6)

• brandymulvaine
    15 years ago

Greetings Maureen!
    The violet you have looks similar to one on Canyon Creeks website called Riviniana Variegata, what a unique violet!
    Yes, keep the mower from "discovering" it! it should spread by seed, I am curious about only half of the leaves being variegated, are all the new leaves varigated and the old ones solid?
    -B

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1339022}}

• momamamo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the link, Brandy! Your question made me curious: I just went out and carefully dug the violet. It turns out that the photo is misleading because there are 2 plants, one with speckles on every leaf and one with plain green leaves only. So I've separated them again. I have thousands of violets in my yard. I'm attaching a photo of one of these. Thanks for your help! Maureen

Here is a link that might be useful:

• etii
    15 years ago

Hi !

It seems you have a "natural" variegated sororia (not a riviniana at all, leaves are much bigger): beautiful, definitively :-) Keep it, you've got a rare thing :-) It's supposed to come 'cause of a virus. Normally, seeds should make the same variegated violet. I guess many people would kill to get it LOL.

Yours sincerely.
    Thierry :-)

• momamamo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Thierry! Thanks for the clarification. You know, I've been on the lookout for years for interesting things like this violet. I'm excited to think that maybe there will be more. It's really quite pretty. Maureen

• membertom
    15 years ago

Hello Maureen,
    It sure would be interesting to see if its seeds grow to look the same.
    By the way, loved that crocus story in your profile.
    We did something similar to a friend -- we tucked a few Lycoris squamigera bulbs in their yard while we were house-sitting.
    I look forward to hearing how your violet story continues. Please, keep us posted.
    Best wishes, Tom

• momamamo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, Tom, for your kind words. I'm so excited about my new little friend and I dearly hope that the future seedlings are speckled too! And I'll definitely share the results on GW.

There is nothing I love more about gardening than fortuitous accidents. Just the other day I was remembering the blue eyed grass that had volunteered at another house; I'd been unable to take it with me when we moved. With that in mind I walked outside to work on my undeveloped side yard, and what do I see but several clumps of the grass just waiting for me to notice. Woohoo! Maureen

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County