Return to the Violet Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Native variegated violet......Viola Walteri?

Posted by debbido z 7b/8a (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 3, 03 at 1:10

Hi there! I was out on one of my usual plant digs in some woods that are about to be cleared when I saw a beautiful variegated violet. I found some that are very small rounded heartshape. These are very small. I guess about the size of a quarter. There were alot of these connected together by underground runners. These look like the pictures of the Viola Walteri. There was another one that looked exactly the same in size and shape as the regular woods violets except that it had the same coloration of the viola walteri. These were very large. Perhaps one leaf was the size of the palm of your hand. Do you have any idea about the ID of either one. Do you think the smaller on is the Viola Walteri? Thanks for any help. These were absolutely gorgeous, and I had never seen them before. Needless to say, they are in my garden now.

Thanks,
Deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Native variegated violet......Viola Walteri?

...Could well be V. walteri; mine have leaves bigger than a quarter, but richness of growing conditions (and time of year / age of the leaves) can make a lot of difference. That said, I've not seen a walteri leaf the size of my palm, though I would say there is a good chance that one is in fact the same species. The other candidate that comes to mind for the big-leaved plant is V. hastata, but its leaves are quite pointed.

o

Thanks for the response. I am going to see if I can get a friend to take a picture with her digital and post it. It is definitely not the V. hastata. It is shaped exactly like a common violet, just variegated.

Thanks,
Deb

o

The Viola walteri I grow has not so big leaves...
Here is a link to a picture..It is not so obvious on it but the variegation and under the leaves it turns to purple...

Here is a link that might be useful: Viola walteri picture

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Violet Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here