Return to the Violet Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
collecting and storing pansy/viola seeds

Posted by cnetter z5 Co (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 23, 07 at 9:25

Hi,
I have some pretty blue and purple pansies that have done a good job of reseeding in my gardens. Many of the offspring are prettier than their parents. I'd like to collect some seeds and grow them in flats next year so I can have better control over where the plants end up.
The plants are producing seed heads now.
What is the best way to store them?
Would they be better off in the fridge or at room temperature? I've been told that pansy seeds have a very short shelf life. Will they make it until next march, when I usually sow purchased pansy seeds?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: collecting and storing pansy/viola seeds

• Posted by etii France 8 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 25, 07 at 3:59

Hi !

Are you kidding saying you wanna grow your pansy in flats ? It's definitively not a good idea, violets and pansies are OUTside plants. Nothing compares to houseplants :'-/ Pliiiiiiiz, DON'T ;o)
About seeds: fridge is a good idea, that's what I do :-)

Best regards - Thierry :-)

o

I start them in flats outside when the weather is still cool, and then transplant them to where I want them. It works very well.
Thanks - I'm going to store the seeds in the fridge.

o

OK I am laughing my head off right now!
I think when cnetter said "grow them in flats", Thierry thought "flats" as in "apartments". Its amazing the different terminology from country to country, isn't it?

Flats are also large, square, very shallow (2-4 inches thick) containers.

Thanks for the smiles!

o

Thank you for making me laugh! I too thought that flats meant apartments I now know what flats can mean and I also know where to store my viola seeds which is nice as they are so pretty and I would like to see them again next year.

o

27/July/09----will the seeds not get damp in fridge? What sort of container should I use? Can I sow directly in the ground next March? In Ireland we don't get a tan just rust from all the rain! Thanks for any help you can give.

o

Poppy, you can use a small glass jar with a self-sealing lid such as a jelly jar (or if it doesn't seal well, you can put some some plastic film over the jar opening before closing the lid). If the seeds and jar are dry to begin with, they'll stay dry in the container. If you need to remove moisture by some other means because the air is too wet, you could try a calcium chloride pellet/chip product (one sold here in the U.S. is called DampRid, but it may not be marketed internationally) by putting it into a tiny sachet inside the jar with the seeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Violet Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here