Return to the Violet Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Viola from Madeira island...

Posted by Nathalie France (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 12, 04 at 10:55

I was given those days a violet from Madeira Island. It just really looks like a european Viola riviniana but I can't find any descriptions about Viola growing there..
Any of you having experience or informations on Viola there?
Could it be possible it is simply Viola riviniana? ( It comes from the wild..)

Thanks...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Viola from Madeira island...

Hi Natha,

In Bauernblatt 11may2002, Dr. Jrgen Eigner writes a long feature on V. riviniana ("Das Hain-Veilchen") in Schleswig-Holstein, which includes:
"besiedelt. Das Hain-Veilchen kommt fast in ganz Europa vor, nrdlich reicht die Verbreitung bis in die Tundra
am 66. Breitengrad und sdlich bis ans Mittelmeer bis Portugal und Madeira." (The article includes a rather nice photograph of an orange-tip butterfly feeding on V. riviniana flowers.)
[http://www.umweltdaten.landsh.de/nuis/upool/gesamt/bauernbl/hainveilchen_110502.pdf]

The other species similar to V. riviniana in Europe (eg. V. mauritii) do not extend as far as Madeira, apart from V. reichenbachiana, maybe - I have not been able to determine if V. reichenbachiana occurs there.

But there is another species similar to V. riviniana which does occur in the N. African islands - V. anagae, for which David Scott provides us a photo -
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.scott40/ct/ct031231.htm.
That plant was photographed in Tenerife, though...
It is named after the Parque Natural de Anaga, in Tenerife, where it is endemic and protected. It has also been called V. anagensis. Gerd Knoche kindly sent me some seed, but it failed to germinate for me. He described it to me on 25jun01 as "a nice late flowering species (just in flower now) and maybe an evergreen version of Viola riviniana."

And V. riviniana occurs in Tenerfie [http://plantsdatabase.com/commentsbyuser.php?user=Monocromatico].
So if V. riviniana occurs in Tenerfie and Madeira, maybe V. anagae does as well?
It is not supposed to (since it has been described as endemic to Tenerife), but just maybe...?

Note: in Portuguese, V. riviniana is called "violetas bravas".

So, in summary:
- your plant is probably V. riviniana
- I can't rule out V. reichenbachiana (but you may be able to - from the sepals or other flower features)
- there is a very small chance it may be V. anagae (it would be an important new location for it)

I hope this helps,
All the best,
Mike

o

Thank you very much Mike!!
So it is definitively Viola riviniana...It is different from Reichenbachiana that I know and also from V anagae that I used to grow but wich died out quickly :-(
Cheers ;-)

o

Jolly good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Violet Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here