Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dluid

Violets go to seed, no flowers

Debi
16 years ago

Help, please. I have several container violets. Seemingly happy. They produce tons of buds that never flower... go directly to seed pods. Any ideas?

Comments (5)

• etii
    16 years ago

Hi !

Concerning the problem you're talking about, no photo is needed :-)
    Either your violets are in a too dark place (sun is appreciated, especially during winter and spring), or the place you live in is too hot (cold make violets flower - no cold during winter, no blooms).
    Anyway, quite too late now, not the right time for flowers, it's definitively pod's time.

Hope it helps :-)
    All the best - Thierry :-)

• Debi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks. You're way cool! Enjoyed your web page (I checked it out) and enchanted that you are French! Seems our violets have zone 8 in common... just on other sides of the world! Thanks for your help with my little violets. Oh, yes, I'm new to the linking of photos. Not an idiot just new and figuring it out. Ha

• etii
    16 years ago

Was a pleasure :-)
    So I guess the problem is just a question of a sunless place :-) The more your violets are getting sun during winter and spring and the more you'll have flowers: try it and tell us :-) Maybe it's not too late, sometimes (mainly odoratas) violets make bloom for autumn...
    About putting a photo: believe me, I do understand what is it to try to figure it out: rage against the machine ;oP

All the best - Thierry :-)

• lilgreenfrog
    16 years ago

Don't know if I should post here or open another thread...
    I have violets that came with the house - they appear to be Labrador violets. I too get seeds but no flowers, despite the fact that they get an hour or two of sun each morning, and CERTAINLY get cold enough in the winter. Do they want more sun than that? I can move some, I'm just worried about scorching them at my altitude. I guess its too late to be experimenting this year, but thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Lara

• etii
    16 years ago

Hello lilgreenfrog !

It worse a try: MORE SUN ! I don't think 1 or 2 hours of sun is enought, but you know there are different kind of shade more or less deep, so hard to say if yours is ok :-) Other clue: like any plant violets need food and water: if you have too many violets in the same place it won't work well. So try that: destroy old ones to let more place for the new. Old violets are lazy and make less blooms than the youngest ;o)
    Normaly, viola riviniana purpurea (or labrador violet) is an invasive one so totaly easy going plant.
    Not sure it's too late, sometimes violets make flowers during the fall. Moreover, the weather is really becoming crazy. Don't know how is it in the States but here in France summer have started a while ago and we feel like being in autumn !!!!! It's so cold, about 14°C and we should have 30°C or more !! We are 10th July and I still have some odorata's blooms. Pedata, reichenbachiana are flowering as well. I've just never seen that before...cold summer and hot winter: earth is sick :-/

Hope it helps - All the best
    Thierry.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting