Return to the Violet Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
johnny jump ups

Posted by Ranikabani 6? (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 4, 04 at 23:53

I guess I received two presents from birds in my neighbourhood...two "johnny jump ups" ...look like mini pansies. They were growing in the middle of my lawn, so i moved them to my garden where they are doing quite well. Are these annuals or perennials? Can anyone tell me anything about these cute 'lil plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: johnny jump ups

Johnny Jump-ups are violas, and I would imagine in some places they are perennials. Some violas are sold as "polar pansy" varieties and often come back after the winter. In your case, it sounds like you were lucky enough to get a seed or two to germinate. Violas, like violets, spead very easily by seed. They're very fun plants. Hopefully you will like them too in the event they start spreading into your lawn!

Cheers,
Dave

o
RE: johnny jump ups

Johnny jump-ups are flowers that make me happy! They have a happy name... I love to find them in the spring. I'm in zone 7, and they do reseed here. I hope yours will for you, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Violet Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here