Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nmvwgrl

Help, I roasted my violets

nmvwgrl
17 years ago

I have 4 cute little plants that were absolutely gorgeous. I don't have a clue when it comes to plants/gardening and honestly my thumb is a bit on the black side, but these flowers were doing great, I didn't have to do anything! I am an idiot and didn't realize that they shouldn't be in direct sunlight, and I roasted them. One of the plants is completely gone, but the others its just the leaves that are limp and brown. What can I do to try and save them? I'm not sure how far to cut them or if I should cut them at all. I'm totally clueless, but they were a gift and I am sooo upset that I did this.

Comments (4)

• etii
    17 years ago

Hello !

The clue is: which violet was/is it ?
    Some violets are coming back from seeds without anything to do, some can sleep in the ground...really depending...
    You're not an idiot, don't worry for that, we ALL loose some, unfortunately :-)

All the best :-)
    Thierry.

• pagan
    17 years ago

I had some violets that got roasted and came back - there is still hope! The little buggers are tougher then they look!

• david_in_ks
    17 years ago

I've had a similar experience this summer. I planted several Queen Charlottes (purchased late, at an end of season sale, arrived late after having been misdirected by the postal service) at the edge of the mulch around a euonymus hedge.

Summer then turned very hot (many days over 100F) and very dry--two and a half months with only 1-2 inches of rain. I watered, but not as religiously as I should have done.

The good news is that these violets made it, although they're still quite small. The odd thing is that they are blooming now, at the end of August. The blooms are TINY--less than a quarter of an inch across--but I assume that they'll be larger once the plants are better established.

Is it common for sweet violets to bloom this late in the year, or is this just something that happened because it was their first year and the rains finally started after a long drought?

Oh--thanks for all the information found on this forum. It was one of the things that inspired me to try sweet violets.

David

• etii
    17 years ago

Hi !
    Yes, David, it's normal for sweet violets to bloom now. In fact, many of mine are flowering right now :-) (even pedata and sororia albiflora !!! First year I see that) I won't complain :-)))) But we had a special august this year: cold and rainny.
    Good abservation! most of the time autumn's blooms from sweet violets are smaller :-)
    Violet need two things for making flowers: cold nights and sunny hot days (spring and autumn).
    Queen Charlotte is a bit special: it can bloom several times ! It's ten time more sensitive to cold...you can play with and make it bloom all year long if you want to. Maybe someone remembers the rules to follow: how many days of cold needed and so on...

Best regards.
    Thierry :-)

PS: just for pleasure, my pedata:
    {{gwi:1339118}}

Sponsored