Return to the Violet Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
violets in pots-- three questions

Posted by mehitabel z6 MO (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 20, 03 at 1:11

Hi all. I would like to try growing parma and odorata violets in pots since I can no longer garden in the ground.

I have three questions about this

1. Would clay pots be better than plastic (on the assumption that clay keeps roots cooler)? Would sphagnum moss at the bottom of the pot be good or not good for the violets?

2. What would you add to potting soil to make it a better mix for violets? perlite? bark?

3. Would capillary mats provide the right kind/amount of moisture for them (to avoid over/under watering). What do you think of these mats to supply constant moisture to the violets? Can these mats be used with clay pots, or does that keep them too wet?

I would so love to be able to have the violet fragrances this winter and spring.

I would appreciate any answers or experiences you can share about growing violets in pots.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: violets in pots-- three questions

They would have to have a cold winter rest, and plastic pots would be best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Violet Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here