Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
etii

hederacea :-)

etii
17 years ago

Hi folks :-)

Everybody's sleepin' or having a vocation time far away ?

Just a post to show you that sweety aussie girl called hederacea: it's so nice to still have some blooms when all violets are only making seeds :-)

Hederacea (viola elatior is behind):

{{gwi:1339147}}

And I can resist to post my babies, I know there's no point with the forum, but well, why not, just a pic :-)

Tortles:

{{gwi:1339148}}

Enjoy 'n' take care :-X

Thierry.

Comments (8)

• jim_mck
    17 years ago

Thierry, which Testudo are they? T. hermanni? T. graeca?

Did you capture them from the wild? Do you know where they originated?

How long have you had them? What happens during the winter?

Jim McKenney

• etii
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi !

The two are graeca, but I can't tell you the taxons :-)
    The small one is coming from marocco its name is Nahim (I bought it on a market among thousand of them) and have it for two years now, the biggest one is coming from Algeria its name is Jade (A friend of mine gave it to me because I told her all the things she has to do to take care of it) and have it for 1 year.
    Nahim was too small and in a too bad health for hibernation last year but now it's really fatty like a capon so that it must hibernate or it won't live long and so will do Jade.
    Only graeca from Tunisia do not hibernate :-)
    Nahim hadn't been capture from wild, don't know about jade...I know lot of people having tortles in their gardens mainly Hermani...I bet it will only been living in gardens in a few years, not 'cause of capture (it's not anymore for a long time - too rare for that) but just because of fire of forest, raods, city becoming bigger and so on.

Best regards.
    Thierry.

• rob_peace
    17 years ago

hi thierry,
    i think you may change the name on your viola hederacea to viola bansksii. the other form available in europe seems to be 'putty road'. i think this one is correctly v hederacea.

rob...

• limyan
    17 years ago

Hi!!
    Am I the only one European people, who have the "good one"? :-P
    From Australia, ;-)))) remember dearest Rob ....under the snow. lol. Now they are at home, I hope they will resist at the winter, you will see them in february. Sorry dear Etii you have a fake one :-P
    Have fun, Yan

• rob_peace
    17 years ago

yann,
    the violet from under the snow would be viola eminens. this is like an alpine form of viola banksii, a coastal plant. though similar, they are different species in a recent revision/review of the hederacea group of violets.

rob...

• limyan
    17 years ago

Hi ROb!!
    Remember Rob, you will have to identificate theme, because of the travel in my shirt pocket without tags! ;)
    have you got the like of this recent revision/review of the hederacea group of violets ?
    Bye.

• etii
    Original Author
    17 years ago

G'day !

There's an hederacea family ? Interesting :-) Maybe you could tell us more Rob :-) PLEASE !!!! Don't try Yann or NOT in English ;oP
    About mine, I "borrowed" it in the botanical garden of the Golden Head Park (Lyon city where I live). It's supposed to come from Tasmania.
    Yann: I can't help imagining the huge kick in the ass it could be if that so-called true hederacea were dying 'cause of winter ;oP

All the best ;o)
    Thierry.

• rob_peace
    17 years ago

cut it out, you guys! lol!

try a google of thiele and hederacea.

true hederacea was originally described by a french botanist on a specimen collected in tasmania. that part is true. the natural distribution of banksii doesnt include tasmania, however.

the 'hederacea complex' includes clesitogamoides, fuscoviolacea, sieberiana and several ssp of hederacea itself. there is also x zophodes, a naturally occuring sterile hybrid as well as banksii and eminens.

rob...

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor