Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daylilydreamer

How hardy are sweet violets????????

daylilydreamer
20 years ago

How hardy are sweet violets??????? Any types?????

Comments (4)

• Liz_Gardiner
    20 years ago

Violets are very tough. We have had terrible droughts here in New South Wales, Australia in the past 24 months and also this season terrible frosts yet the violets seem to survive and survive well. They don't like too much frost and since they like to grow in an open position you have to pick you spot well. But my experience is that they are survivors. England, France and the northern Hemisphere may fair worse.

• stefanb8
    20 years ago

I've never been too certain what phenomenon gardeners in England and Australia are referring to when they describe "frost", but if sweet violets thrive in spite of the worst Minnesota winters, I'd say you've got very little to worry about! There aren't so many varieties available today as there used to be, but if you're interested in more than just a few standard kinds you should check out Canyon Creek Nursery.

Stefan

• Cearbhael
    20 years ago

I have a patch of sweet violets that my grandmother planted when I was a child, a way long time ago. They are in the inside L corner of the house (south east exposure) nestled between the steps and the foundation of the house. They love it there. Every spring I get a huge flush of deep dark purple violets. I have added Korean violets, and Viola jooi on the south wall. The Viola jooi are having trouble with this drought and heat we have been having but I water them and they will pull thru I am sure. The Korean violet (variagated leaf) is tough as nails. I started the new violets from seed a couple of years ago (in containers) I kept them on my apt patio over winter and each spring I would get seedlings but the parent plants would be dead. Last year, when I moved into my grandparents old home, I overwintered them in the breezeway (very cold there...not warm at all) and they survived. I figure at the south end of the house, with the warmth of the foundation and a good covering of leaves they will make it thru our winters. (in MN) This is a very plant friendly place. My grandmother and grandfather were avid gardeners (were farmers most of their life) and everything has always thrived here (as my current garden will attest. It was a 100% success story)

Cearbhael

• stefanb8
    20 years ago

Korean violets are well on their way to weed status here : ) It's gotten to be so bad that I can't even tell if a mother plant dies over the winter (although I've noticed that about some of them in the past) - there are so many youngsters crowded beneath her that any space is filled before I have a chance to notice! And this plant has a certain way of migrating around the garden against the usual laws of nature - making me believe that its seeds are often dispersed by insects. I've found MN to be less than friendly to a fair number of plants, although I admit to trying many varieties that wouldn't exactly be recommended - so I still count my blessings when things do thrive. It's always been the surprises that make gardening here so fascinating to me.

Stefan

P.S. - can anyone describe what "frost" means in the British sense?

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting