Return to the Violet Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Common violets-is there a source for seeds?

Posted by jessew 5 PA (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 24, 04 at 18:40

I would like to naturalize some of the violets that grow wild in the spring here in eastern PA. Has anyone grown these from seed, and if so, do you know of a good seed source? I'm referring to the short little purple fellows that are often found in lawns.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Common violets-is there a source for seeds?

swallowtail seeds.You will find them by the name of sweet violet.

o

The violet you're looking for is probably viola sororia.... not sweet violet... sweet violet is native to Europe an dhasn't naturalized much here.... but viola sororia is native and is considered a weed by some..... the latter has no smell.... :) The violet sororia is also the New Jersey state flower..... If you don't find seeds I might have some next year.... I could also send you bulbils now.... Freckles is a cultivar of sororia.... :)

o

• Posted by billybw 7East Tennessee (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 8, 04 at 13:41

All you have to do is transplant a few plants into the areas where you want them to grow. They self-sow prolifically and if the conditions are right will multiply rapidly. I think they make a great groundcover.

o

Billyby has got it,lol. Just take a few plants and plant them. The seed they produce will multiply quickly. And during the months that they produce seed pick a few capsules when ripe and disperse them where every you choose.

o

The wild violets I received from a friend's yard is starting to flower and set seeds.
I can try to catch the seeds for you:) I had many seeds before and traded them away. Don't know if these are the ones you are looking for though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Violet Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here